After the cystoscopy
You might be allowed to resume your daily routine. If you’ve had sedation or general anaesthesia, you might be asked to remain in a recovery area to allow the effects of the medication to wear off before you leave.
Side effects after cystoscopy might include:
- Bleeding from your urethra, which can appear bright pink in your urine or on toilet tissue
- A burning sensation during urination
- More frequent urination for the next day or two
You can relieve some of the discomfort if you:
- Drink water to flush irritants out of your bladder. Try to drink 16 ounces (473 millilitres) of water each hour for the first two hours after the procedure.
- Take an over-the-counter pain reliever.
- Place a warm, damp washcloth on the opening to your urethra to ease pain, repeating as needed.
- Take a warm bath, unless your doctor asks you to avoid baths.
Call your doctor if you have concerns after your cystoscopy.